Q. I retired under FERS in 2009 after 15 years of service (MRA). I received a buy out under VSIP. I am 66 years old and have been collecting Social Security since 62. Can I apply for a federal position with the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Defense Department?

A. Because at least five years have passed since you received the VSIP, you can apply for a position in any agency of government. As a rule, if you are hired, the salary of your new position will be reduced by the amount of your annuity. On the other hand, if you have reached your full Social Security retirement age, being hired will have no effect on your Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply