Q. Who do I contact about a refund of military payback deposit?

READ: A 401k for the military? The TSP is up to the challenge

A. There are only two ways you can get a refund of the deposit you made to get credit for your active duty service: at retirement or if your resign from the government. In the first instance, it would only be refunded if you were retired military and decided not to waive your military retired pay when you retired from your civilian job; in the second, if you resigned from the government and were off the rolls for 60 days. In that case, you could get a refund by writing to the following address:

Civil Service Retirement System
Retirement Operations Center
Boyers, PA 16020


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply