Deposit for active duty service


Q. I would like to buy back my Reserve time to include my two-week annual tour active duty days. I understand that I wouldn’t get credit if I was working for the federal government and they were giving me 15 days of military leave per year to do my annual tour, but at the time I was working for a private company who did not pay me for my Reserve annual tour active duty days. I was not “double dipping” from the federal government. Can I buy that annual tour active duty time, completed while working in the private sector, now that I recently started working for the federal government?

A. Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for any periods when you were called to active duty that occurred before you became a federal employee. On the other hand, credit is never given for weekend drills.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply