Disenrolling from Part B


Q. I have filed to disenroll from part B many times without any response from Social Security.
They simply ignore my requests.

A: To disenroll, you’re required to complete form CMS-1763 either during a personal interview at a Social Security office or on the phone with a Social Security representative. For an interview, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or your local office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I have a question that no one at SSA or in the retiree office I utilize can answer about Medicare Part B. Before I turned 65(I am 66 now), I had Tricare Standard and had a supplement that cost around $40 an month. At 65, when I had to sign up for Medicare, I then collected SSA benefits and had to drop my Tricare supplement and Tricare Standard in lieu of TFL. Now I pay more than $140 a month for Part B coverage. Is this mandatory or can I opt out and chose another policy to cover outpatient visits for less?

    • Because Part B is optional, you can drop that coverage at any time. However, if you do and later want to reenroll, your premiums will be permanently increased for each year you could have been enrolled but weren’t. Whether there is another policy that can provide you with outpatient visits at a lower price is something you’ll have to find out on your own.

Leave A Reply