Credit for active-duty service


Q. Will my time in the military be considered as part of my High-3 if I buy back my military time? My High-3 occurs during my time in the military, not during civil service.

A. If you make a deposit, you’ll get credit for your military time in determining your years of civilian service. On the other hand, when you annuity is computed, it will be based solely on the average of your highest three consecutive years of basic pay while a civilian employee.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply