Special retirement supplement


Q. When I retired from FERS, I was 60 years old. I just turned 62 and my supplemental pay was terminated. What I learned from this is that I became accustomed to this extra pay and now that I do not have it I find myself seriously thinking of applying for my Social Security to cover the gap. I was really hoping to apply for Social Security at 65. I guess I wasn’t made aware of what is supplemental/bridge pay. What are your thoughts?

A. The special retirement supplement is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. It’s designed to bridge the gap between when an employee retires and age 62, when he/she first becomes eligible for a Social Security benefit. Whether or not you apply for that benefit when you reach age 62 is a financial decision that’s up to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply