SRS requirements


Q. I am a U.S. postal worker. I will have 27 years of employment with the U.S. Postal Service this year and will also turn 56. Can I immediately start drawing the annuity supplement if I retire at the age of 56? As a postal worker, I must have 30 years of government service before I am eligible for the annuity supplement, correct?

A. To immediately receive the special retirement supplement when you retire, you must meet one of the following age and service requirements:

  • Age 60 with 20 years of service.
  • At your minimum retirement age with 30 years of service.

You may also receive the SRS when you reach your MRA if you retire under the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) at age 50 with 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service. The same is true if you are involuntarily separated.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. My dad retired from the post office back in the 80s 29 yrs with a yr of the navy so they took a year off since he was in the service how much would his retirement be he passed away my brother took the check cashed it didnt tell us eventhough where intitled to knowing how much would his retirement be

    • To find out the amount of that last annuity payment, you’ll have to write OPM’s Retirement Operations Center, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. Please include your father’s full name, date of birth, Social Security number, and CSA (Civil Service Annuity) number.

Leave A Reply