Can I request a buyout?


Q. I am currently employed with the Veterans Healthcare Administration, age 60, with more than 21 years of service. How does one go about initiating a request for buyout in the event none is being offered? Is this possible?

A. No, it isn’t possible. However, since you already meet the age and service requirements to retire, you can do that whenever you feel like it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Reg Mr. Jones: Question, does the VSIP buyout count on my high-3 earning for my OPM annuitant payment and my SSA annuitant payments, and was my VSIP payment from my employer should have been paid to me in the 2018 Tax Year since I retired on Dec 31, 2018 because the agency waited until Mar 24, 2019 to process the VSIP? Thanks

    • A VSIP has no affect on your high-3; however, it does count as regular income in the year in which it’s received and will be taxed accordingly.

    • According to OPM, “If you choose CSRS Offset coverage, you can get credit for that deposit service by taking an actuarial reduction. That’s because the nature of the service changes from FERS to CSRS time when you elect CSRS Offset coverage. If you remain in FERS, you will have to pay a FERS deposit before you can get credit for the service time. You would not be eligible for the actuarial reduction.

      “Before you’re asked to choose retirement plans, OPM will give you information about your benefits under both CSRS and FERS. They will tell you how much you owe under both. They will also explain how payment of a deposit and the actuarial reduction will affect your benefit.”

Leave A Reply