Federal and nonfederal jobs


Q. I am retiring under discontinued service at 54 years old. I will get my FERS annuity, and when I reach my minimum retirement age, the special retirement supplement. I want to work part time. What is the max amount that I can earn? What will be the difference in loss of benefits between a federal job and a nonfederal job?

A. If you take a federal job, the salary of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity and the special retirement supplement would end. If you went to work in a nonfederal job, your annuity would continue but your SRS would be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earned above the annual limit, which is $16,920 in 2017.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply