Retiring on a deferred annuity


Q. I am 56, but only have six years of government service time. Even though I’ve worked for a U.S. government agency for 31 years, only my time with government service counts toward retirement. Would I be allowed to leave the government before my minimum retirement age and take a deferred annuity at age 62? If this is possible, would I be able to keep my medical coverage?

A. Yes, you could leave government and apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. However, you wouldn’t be able to re-enroll in the FEHB Program. No one who retires on a deferred annuity can do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Bernice Porter on

    I was married to a Military member for 13 years in the divorce agreement he put in that I couldn’t receive anything off his military. He put in 22 years into the Military and then went to work and put in twenty years in the Postal as a carrier, can I draw from SS when I turn 62.

    • You’ll have to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. Be sure to have both your and his Social Security numbers at hand when you do that.

Leave A Reply