Disability pay


Q. Although I’m a FERS disability retiree, I have applied for a full-time job under NAF. Can I do this legally? I am willing to not receive my disability pay, as little as it is, and my doctor said I can work with no problems.

A. If you continue to be disabled, you can go back to work, earn up to 80 percent of the current rate of basic pay for your former position, and continue to receive your disability annuity. However, if you have recovered from your disability, which you’ll have to report to OPM, your disability annuity will end and you’ll be able to earn as much as you want. Note: Should your disability recur and your earnings fall below 80 percent, your disability annuity could be reinstated.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply