Excess annual leave


Q. I’m planning to resign from my government job, but I have a negative annual leave balance. Will I have to repay that amount when I leave?

A. According to the Office of Personnel Management: “When an employee who is indebted for advanced annual leave separates from Federal service, he or she is required to refund the amount of advanced leave or the agency may deduct that amount from any pay due the employee upon separation. However, if the employees [sic]dies, retires for disability, or is separated or resigns because of disability, the requirement to repay does not apply. The agency makes the determination as to whether an employee has separated or resigned because of disability.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. I was having to take FMLA because my health was going downhill fast and I was almost deaf. I retired on my 56th birthday. My supervisor messed up my sick leave and started deducting annual and sick instead of giving me LWOP as I had requested resulting in a negative annual leave balance. This was April 2016. I tried to have my debt waivered due to this issue being a managerial error. They denied me and now I repay $50 a month. The first year in December 2016 I was hit with some sort of appx $300 fee that I still do NOT understand and I shall take my sweet time paying this debt off. It does NOT affect ur credit score.

Leave A Reply