Deferred retirement


Q. I want to defer my retirement and get out at 50/20. It’s my understanding that if I wait until 60 to claim my retirement, I will retire with full benefits as if I had waited until the minimum retirement age of 56 years and 8 months. Is this true?

A. If you resign with at least 20 years of service and don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 60. The annuity you receive will be the one you would be entitled to based on your high-3 and years and full months of service on the day you left. Note: You won’t be able to re-enroll in either the FEHB or FEGLI programs when your annuity begins.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. It would be better to wait until your MRA, and then resign. You could postpone retirement until the age of 60, and then collect the SRS also. You could also re-enroll into the FEHBP.

  2. Thanks for your time
    Have 25 years in post office left 15 years ago reaching age 60 l believe l could send in forms do l use. SF 2801. Retired forms. Or deferred annuities opm 1496a for CSRS employees

Leave A Reply