Federal Employee Health Benefits plans


Q. I am a CSRS annuitant who retired with a Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) family plan in 2010. In 2016, my spouse, who is a federal employee, enrolled in the FEHB and I suspended my FEHB enrollment because she picked up our family plan including myself. What is my procedure to re-enroll, as an annuitant, in the FEHB? When should I do this?

A. You can switch the enrollment from her to you during the upcoming FEHB open season.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I am married and my spouse was on my FEHB plan, she dropped it and went on her employee health care plan years ago. I am now retired from the federal government, can I put her on my FEHB during open season? Thank You.

Leave A Reply