Government Pension Offset


Q. I am a 74 year old under the old Civil Service Retirement System. I do not get Social Service benefits due to the offset law. When and if my husband, who is 83, dies, am I entitled to any of his Social Security benefit or a death benefit?

A. Your Social Security survivor benefit would be effected by the Government Pension Offset provision of law. The GPO would reduce that benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity. On the other hand, you would be entitled to any survivor benefit your husband provided for you and the Social Security death benefit, which is $255.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply