Q. If I am terminated from my position for performance, will I be eligible for a Discontinued Service Retirement? I am age 53 (54 next month) with 28 years of service including military payback for those years served.
Will I also be eligible for the special retirement supplement once I reach my MRA?

A. The answer is “yes” to both questions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I was forced to resign because of harassment, discrimination and hostile work environment on my resignation letter, placed the reason for this action. I have 24 years and 6 months of service at age 54 am I eligible for DSR?.

  2. Donna Johnson on

    I am currently 53 yrs old with 32 yrs in Postal Service. I am being offered VER. Am I elligeble to receive Fers Supplement at my current age. I am under FERS currently.

    • No, you aren’t. You wouldn’t begin receiving the FERS retirement supplement until you reached your minimum retirement age, which is 56 years and 3 months.

Leave A Reply