Disability retirement


Q. Due to sloppy record keeping on my part I do not have the doctor’s statement to apply for FERS disability retirement. Are there independent doctors from whom I can get a second opinion?

A. That examination can be given and attested to by any licensed doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy, or a physician who is serving on active duty in the uniformed services and is designated by the uniformed service to conduct examinations under Part 339 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Medical Determinations Related To Employability).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. If I have 34 years of service, 24 Postal and 10 Military, the VA has stated I’m 100% Disabled, can I request a Disability Retirement through the Postal Service?

    • Yes, you can. Your agency is required to assist you in applying for it. The U.S. Office of Personnel Management will determine if you meet the requirements to receive a disability benefit.

Leave A Reply