Calculating special retirement supplement


Q. How does the Office of Personnel Management calculate the special retirement supplement? I turn 56 this year and plan on retiring with 33 years government service; 9 of which are for military time that I bought back. Based on comments that means that my SRS will be based on 24 years of civilian federal employment.

A. Those comments are correct; your special retirement supplement will be based solely on you actual service as a FERS employee. You’ll find the methodology for calculating the amount at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

1 Comment

  1. I had 21 years USPS time and went out with 33 years… SRS is $685….My HR advised it would be $1080. . They were wrong and should be taught to give the correct information.

Leave A Reply