Q. I was married 13 years to a CSRS federal employee. Upon his death I received the papers to file for benefits; however, I became very sick. Due to my decline in health, I was unable to return the papers. It has been two years. Is it too late to receive the benefits?

A. For an answer to your question, call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information Office at 1-888-767-6738.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply