Survivor annuity


Q. I get a survivor monthly check. My husband worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture for 50 years. He passed away three years ago. What would I get if I remarry?

A. Assuming that you are at least age 55, your survivor annuity would continue. If you were under age 55, your survivor annuity would end. It would only be restored if your new marriage ended with an annulment, divorce or the death of your new spouse.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


    • Unless you applied for disability retirement within one year of the time you elected worker’s compensation, your wife wouldn’t be entitled to a CSRS survivor annuity.

Leave A Reply