Q. Hello, I worked for the National Labor Relations Board (under FERS) for four years and left to work with California MTA and California Department of Justice (CalPers). Do either of those California state agencies have reciprocity with the federal government? If no, would I be able to purchase the one year left to vest in FERS?

A. Unfortunately, there is no reciprocity. Nor can you make a deposit to get credit for that year.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply