Benefits/leave after termination


Q. I have been a DHS officer for 13 years under FERS. If I am terminated for policy violations and do not request a refund of my retirement contributions, will I be entitled to a partial pension at age 62? If so, will my sick leave count as more months of service? What happens to my annual leave?

A. When you leave government, you’d receive a cash payment for all your unused annual leave. If you don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions, you would be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62; however, your unused sick leave wouldn’t be included in the computation of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply