Estimating Social Security benefit


Q. I want to retire at age 60. How can I figure out what my Social Security will be from my estimated amount at age 62? I would think it would be better for the the Social Security Administration to give an estimate by going from how much you have actually earned up to that printed estimate date.

A. Yes, it would, but they don’t. Therefore, you’ll have to rely on an estimate. Take the estimate of your Social Security benefit provided by the Social Security Administration, multiply it by your total years of FERS service, and divide that figure by 40.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply