Disability retirement


Q. I am currently retired from the U.S. Postal Service. I was sick, asked for early retirement and was granted it. Should I have asked for disability retirement from the post office since I am disabled? If so, what should I do to ask for disability retirement?

A. You have one year from the date you left government to file for disability retirement. To find out how to do that, go to https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c060.pdf and scroll to Section 60B2.1-1 Note: If you retired more than a year ago, you are no longer eligible to do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I’m currently receiving payments from OWCP, but have also received disability retirement from USPS. How do I switch to receive payment from Fed Dis retirement instead?

Leave A Reply