Retirement benefit


Q. My ex-husband is getting ready to retire from civil service. In our divorce decree it states he will pay me part of his retirement when he retires. What do I have to do and will I lose this because I have remarried?

A. You would only lose your entitlement to part of his retirement if you remarried before age 55. If you didn’t, you’ll need to file a copy of your divorce settlement with the Office of Personnel Management’s Court Ordered Benefits Branch, P.O. Box 17, Washington, D.C., 20044-0017. Give them a call first at 1-888-767-6738 to be sure that what you have is what they’ll need.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I was married to a postal worker for more than 10 years. She has retired my only income is social security do I have any benefits coming from her pension?

    • You would only be entitled to benefits if the court order ending your marriage provided them and that court order was properly filed with the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Leave A Reply