Postponed retirement


Q. Can I take a postponed retirement with 30 years in if I haven’t reached my minimum retirement age?

A. No, you cannot. Because you aren’t old enough to retire, you could only resign and, when you reach your minimum retirement age, apply for a deferred retirement. If you did that, you wouldn’t be entitled to the special retirement supplement nor could you re-enroll in either the FEHB or FEGLI programs.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


Leave A Reply