About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. i received a new Manager that is stressing me totally out and I have high blood pressure can I retire with disabilities. She has stopped my overtime, changed my reporting time and is trying to add more work to my position. she’s making me go to lunch 3 hours after I report to work. what are my options. I work for the USPS and I have 38 years of service.

    • Yes, you can apply for disability retirement. In the meantime, if you are a bargaining unit employee, you can ask your union representative to review your situation and determine if any of these changes are a violation of the union contract.

Leave A Reply