Retirement eligibility


Q. I resigned under FERS at age 52 with 30 years of service. Can I put in at age 56 and 2 months for collecting my retirement?

A. If you were born in 1965, you would be entitled to an immediate unreduced annuity when you reach your minimum retirement age, which is age 56 and 2 months. Note: As a deferred annuitant, you wouldn’t be entitled to the special retirement supplement.

Reg Jones is away until May 2. Daily posts of previously submitted questions will continue, while newer queries will be answered following his return.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


Leave A Reply