USPS annuity


Q. I quit the U.S. Postal Service after working 14 years for them. Am I entitled to any sort of pension from the USPS when I turn 62 or 65?

A. Yes, if you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left. Regardless of whether you were covered by CSRS or FERS, you could apply for an annuity at age 62. If you were covered by FERS, you could also apply for an annuity when you reach your minimum retirement age. MRAs range from 55 to 57, depending on your year of birth. However, if you apply under the MRA+10 provision, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


    • Were you a CSRS or a FERS employee? Are you receiving workers compensation or a disability annuity? If neither, did you receive a refund of your retirement contributions?

Leave A Reply