Deferred retirement


Q. I am currently under FERS with 20.5 years of service and am age 55. My MRA age is 56. Can I apply for the deferred retirement to age 62 before I resign? I realize I will not be eligible for the health and life insurance.

A. No, you can’t. You can only resign from the government and later apply for a deferred retirement when you are eligible for that benefit, which would be age 60.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


    • Also if this person waits till age 56 to leave, they would be MRA+10 eligible and be able to take a POSTPONED FERS Annuity at age 60 vs a DEFERRED Annuity. With a postponed annuity they’d have the opportunity to re-enroll in FEHB and FEGLI when they start receiving their annuity.

Leave A Reply