Special retirement supplement eligibility


Q. I’m a FERS employee who will be retiring soon. Will I be entitled to the special retirement supplement?

A. The special retirement supplement is payable immediately to those who retire at age 60 with 20 years of service or at their minimum retirement age with 30. If you retire under an early retirement authority, it’s payable at your MRA. No paperwork is needed to receive the SRS.
Three things to keep in mind: 1) The SRS is never payable to those who retire under the MRA+10 provision or who leave government and apply for a deferred annuity. 2) The SRS won’t be added to an interim annuity, only a final annuity; however, the payment will be retroactive. 3) If a retiree receiving the SRS exceeds the annual Social Security earnings limit, the SRS will be reduced or suspended.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. I had 33 yrs with only 21 being FERS cuz my military time I bought back in the first 2 years was added in. When I retired at 56 yrs old, my SRS was only $685 cuz I did not know that the SRS was for active postal time only. Had my HR person informed me when I applied for retirement, I might have continued working. However, 6 months after retiring regular FERS, I was awarded SSDI due to deafness. I called SSA and asked them if they would take away my $685 SRS and they replied No. Now my question is what will happen to my SSDI & SRS when I turn 62 yrs old?

Leave A Reply