Q. I recently retired and received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment. If I get another government position, will I be required to pay back the buyout money I received?

A. Yes. If you received a buyout and later accept a paying job with the federal government within 5 years of the date of the separation on which that buyout is based, including work under a personal services contract or other direct contract, you must repay the entire amount to the agency that paid it to you before your first day of re-employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply