Retirement and annuity


Q. I was born in 1967. I’m covered by FERS and want to retire at the age of 55 when I’ll have 34 years of federal service. Will I take a huge hit in my annuity?

A. Because you were born in 1967, your minimum retirement age is 56 years and 6 months. Although you wouldn’t be eligible to retire, you could resign and apply for a deferred annuity when you reach your MRA. However, if you did that, you wouldn’t be eligible to receive the special retirement supplement, nor would you be able to re-enroll in either the FEHB or FEGLI programs.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. GREAT question! I was born in ’69, currently have 28 years of service, and have been wondering the same regarding my future FEHB benefits.

    • Your annuity estimate is based on your high-3 and years of service. It doesn’t reflect the reduction that would occur at retirement if your CSRS deposit isn’t paid.

  2. Good Day, sir
    A person with type2 Diabetes with an A1C of 11, and positive from COVID19 with pneumonia.
    Is he qualify for Alternative Form of Annuity?
    Aside from a medical doctor. Thank you sir.

    • No. As a CSRS employee, you’d have to retire no later than the third day of the month to be on the annuity roll in that month.

Leave A Reply