Browsing: 80 percent

Q. I am a CSRS employee who will be 55 years old in September 2015 and will have 38 years of federal service. Some are telling me to stay until I have 41 years because of the added benefit. What’s the big difference? I’d like to go as soon as I’m eligible.

Q: I am a federal employee with almost 50 years of service. Are the excess contributions that I have made since reaching the 80 percent maximum at 41 years, 11 months, taxable when I retire? A: Any refund of excess contributions you made to the retirement fund won’t be taxable. You already paid taxes on them. On the other hand, any interest you receive will be taxable. — Reg Jones