Browsing: Deferred annuity

Q. I am nearly 62 with 18 years service and separated from service at age 53. If I wait until 63 or later for a deferred FERS, is there an advantage in waiting longer? A. There is no advantage to waiting. Your annuity will be based on your high-3 and years and full months of service on the day you resigned from the government. Therefore, you should fill out a Standard Form 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement (available at, click on Find Form(s)), and send it to the Office of Personnel Management two months before your 62nd birthday.

Q. I have 22 years federal government time. I was fired in 2007 for missing too many days because of being sick. Do I still get a pension? A. If you left your contributions in the retirement fund when you left, you would be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62.

Q. I am a FERS employee (position requires I be a member of the Army National Guard) with 23 years of service; I will be receiving a physical health assessment with the National Guard in April and I anticipate being discharged because I have lost the vision in my right eye due to an accident while in military training. I assume I will qualify for FERS disability retirement and I read that I must also apply for Social Security disability. If the Social Security does not approve my disability, can I still receive the FERS disability retirement? A. Yes.

Q. I worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs for more than six years. Next year I will reach the age of 62. How do I file for retirement benefits? A. If you didn’t receive a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, several months before your 62nd birthday you can send an Application for Immediate Retirement to OPM, Retirement Services Management group, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. If you were a CSRS employee, use Standard Form 2801, if FERS, Standard Form 3107. They are available for download at, click on Find Form(s).

Q. When I retired from the government two years ago, I postponed the receipt of my annuity to avoid the FERS age penalty. At the time, I had for more than five years had self only health insurance under FERS through the GEHA plan. I am now turning 60 with more than 20 years of federal service and am about to take a postponed annuity. My wife is privately employed and now has “insured plus one” health insurance coverage, under which I am also covered. If I elect a partial (25 percent) spousal annuity and family health coverage, can my…

Q. I worked for the Veterans Affairs Department for 10 years from 1988 to 1999. I left my FERS contributions in the fund when I left. Will I be able to collect any pension at any time? A. You will be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62.

Q. I was active-duty military for 24 years, then went contractor for a few, and have been an Army civilian going on four years now. I was told that I could retire at my minimum retirement age (56) after 10 years of civilian service. Is that correct, and if so, what type of retirement would I be eligible for? Also, by looking at the FERS section on my leave and earnings statement, how can I figure out how much a month I would be getting at retirement? A. You would be able to retire under the MRA+10 provision, which would…

Q. I retired from the Secret Service in 1998 with 28 years of service as a special agent and am receiving an annuity from the District of Columbia Police and Fire retirement system. Without a break in service, I then worked in SES positions at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and as the Federal Security Director with TSA at the Jacksonville, Fla., Airport for a total of seven years and seven months under the FERS system. At the time I left federal service, I was not 62 and not eligible to begin receiving my FERS retirement benefit. I am…

1 12 13 14 15 16