Browsing: discontinued service

Q: I lost my reserve position for medical reasons, through no fault of my own, on Aug. 27, 2010. I have been given one year to find another job. I will be 54 years old with 19.5 years of time in service by August 2011. What type of retirement would I be allowed: Discontinued service retirement or disability? A: Disability.

Q: If a 56-year-old Federal Employees Retirement System employee with 22 years of creditable service is involuntarily separated under a discontinued service retirement and takes the immediate annuity, does the annuity reduction of 2 percent per year for every year under age 62 apply? Does the employee also immediately qualify for the FERS annuity supplement? A: If you take a discontinued service retirement, you won’t be penalized 5 percent (not 2 percent) for every year you are under age 62. Further, because you have reached your minimum retirement age, you will be eligible to receive the special retirement supplement.

Q: My husband was federal technician and served in the Air National Guard. The military discharged him because of health reasons. So he lost his federal technician job. He now receives Civil Service Retirement System disability benefits. He applied for Social Security disability. Social Security counts his CSRS disability as a public disability, so his benefit is offset and his payment is reduced to $31.00 a month. Now that he is over age 55, can he change his CSRS retirement to a CSRS annuity or discontinued service retirement? Social Security stated that if he is receiving a CSRS annuity or…