Q. I left the post office in 2002 after 15 years of service and believe there may be money owed to me that was left in my retirement that I never collected. How do I go about finding out if there is in fact money that is due to me? A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you can do so now. Go to, download a copy of the form, fill it in, and send it to OPM.

Q. If I did not sign up for Medicare Part B when I became eligible, can I sign up now without penalty if I have a federal employee health plan and I am retired? A. No, you can’t sign up without penalty. You could have done that when you were still employed, but not after you retired.

Q. I have been in the FEHB for 30 years, but would like to enroll for self and family, this open season.  How long will I have to be enrolled in self and family in order to carry that coverage into retirement? A. As long as you are enrolled in the self and family option when you retire, you can carry that coverage with you.

Q. The definitions on the web for block 19 “cumulative retirement” only defines it, which to me has absolutely no meaning since it does not also state what happens to that amount once you do retire. Is that an initial retirement “seed money” or what? What happens to it? A. That’s a record of your contributions to the retirement fund. It only becomes important if you 1) resign from the government and ask for a refund of your contributions or 2) retire. In the latter case, it will be included in a formula used to determine how much of your…

Q. I plan to retire in 2016 with 22 years of service. I will be 63 in May of 2016. I have 1,200 hours of sick leave. How would that affect my retirement? I have three years with a non-approved fund. I received a business basic separation because of base closure. I accepted a job with DOD within a day after my separation, but I could not start until the beginning of the pay period. Would I be able to count that time for retirement? A. At retirement, any hours of actual service that don’t add up to one month…

Q. I retired three years ago under FERS. I am considering applying for another position with the federal government. Will I forfeit any pay or retirement if I am rehired? A. As a rule, the salary of your new position would be offset by the amount of your annuity.

Q. I am a federal retiree and my wife is a federal employee. I pay for family coverage under FEP Blue. When our only child turns 26, should we both go to individual coverage? A. That’s entirely up to you. You’ll need to compare the premium costs with the co-pays, deductibles and catastrophic limits which will apply to both enrollments.

Q. I plan to retire under CSRS offset well before I turn 62. I know at 62 my retirement will be recalculated and my annuity check will be split between OPM and the Social Security Administration. When I turn 62 and start receiving my retirement pay from both OPM and the SSA, am I bound by the earning limits set by Social Security (currently $15,480.00 annually)? A. Yes, you are bound by the Social Security earnings limit. That limit applies to anyone who is under full Social Security retirement age and has earnings from wages or self employment that exceed…

Q. I will turn 65 next May and have retired from the post office after 33 years. I have BC/BS with the post office, and I’m also with the VA. What happens with my coverage from the post office when I turn 65? Do I have to keep the coverage since I’m with the VA? A. Your BC/BS enrollment is under the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. It doesn’t make any difference which agency you were working for when you enrolled or which one you are working for now.

Q. Could you please explain what the term “delinquency” refers to with regards to a discontinued service retirement? A. Delinquency is a term that includes, but is not limited to, failure to do what law or duty require, an offense or a misdemeanor, a debt or other financial obligation on which payment is overdue.

1 2 3 138