Browsing: SSDI

Q. I retired from Army in 1998 after 20 years. I was hired by civil service in 1999 and am now on leave without pay because of service-connected disabilities. I have 90 percent disability, according to the Veterans Affairs Department and was just approved for Social Security Disability Insurance on July 29. Should I resign from my government job for health reasons or file for disability under Federal Employees Retirement System? I have been LWOP since Feb. 10. A. It would make sense for you to apply for disability retirement. Simply resigning from the government would gain you nothing.

Q: I retired under a medical retirement. I am married and got my Federal Employees Retirement System and Social Security Disability Insurance. If this combined income is not enough to live on, is it possible for me to apply for Supplemental Security Income for my spouse and myself? A: You can always apply for Supplemental Security Income. Whether your request would be approved depends on a number of factors. I suggest that you go to the Social Security Administration website at and review the criteria. Information about how to apply for benefits is also provided on that site.