Pay for unused sick leave at retirement


Q: I am aware that there is some support to propose legislation this year to pay federal employees for unused sick leave by depositing the money into one’s TSP. Is there any further support for this and has anything been proposed in this arena? I believe Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., had said that he would introduce legislation to pay federal employees for unused sick and annual pay at retirement by having it deposited to your TSP.

Do you have any current information in reference to this matter?

A: I have found no evidence that Lynch did anything more than talk about introducing a bill to do that.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. Sick leave will simply be added to your time in service at 50% if retiring within five years. After that, you get 100% of your sick leave applied as time after you meet elegiblilty requirements. Annual leave is paid in cash at 100%. Neither will be rolled into your TSP.

Leave A Reply