Divorce and annuity


Q: Is there a place at the Office of Personnel Management where I can forward a copy of my divorce decree and request an estimate of how much of my annuity will go to my former spouse? I have the retirement estimate from my human resources office and can provide them an amount of my total annuity.

A: You can forward your divorce decree to the Office of Personnel Management, Retirement and Benefits Service, Court Orders Section, 1900 E Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20415. However, OPM won’t provide you with an estimate.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Your divorce decree should state how much of your annuity goes to your former spouse. Keep in mind that OPM must have a “Court Order Acceptable for Processing” to disburse anything to the former spouse. Often, the QDRO that many states issue is not sufficient to meet OPM’s requirements. I suggest you download and read/give to your Attorney the publication on OPM’s site.
    1. RI38-116 is the Handbook for Attorneys: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/pamphlets/ri38-116.pdf
    2. RI84-1, Court-Ordered Benefits for Former Spouses at: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/pamphlets/ri84-1.pdf

Leave A Reply