Adding family member to health plan


Q: If a Civil Service Retirement System retiree is currently receiving government health insurance and gets married, can he add his spouse to his health insurance?

A: Anyone covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefits program who has a change in family status, such as marriage, birth or death of a family member, adoption, legal separation or divorce, can change from self only to self and family or vice versa. For employees, the code is 1C in the Table of Permissible Changes; for retirees, it is code 2B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply