Change in retirement code


Q: I’ve been a Federal Employees Retirement System employee of the Veterans Affairs Department since 1986. Human Resources changed my retirement code from 2 to C — but I have not requested any changes. It is almost impossible to see the retirement representative from HR, yet I’m trying to make an appointment with HR to get an explanation. Can you explain?

A: I can tell you what but not why. Retirement code 2 is FICA. It means that “you are covered by the Federal Insurance Contributions Act – Social Security only. You are not covered by a retirement system for your current position.” Retirement code C is Civil Service Retirement System Offset. It states that “employees vested in CSRS who had over a 365-day break in service and returned 1/1/84 or after are covered by CSRS and FICA.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply