Military sick leave credit can't roll over


Q: I have prior military service. Now I am a federal employee. Can unused military sick leave be used as service credit in the computation of benefits under the Federal Employees Retirement System when I retire?

A: No. You can’t use it in your annuity computation or for any other purpose as a civilian employee of the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply