Special retirement supplement


Q: I am a Federal Employees Retirement System employee in an 1811 covered position and have been a civilian employee for eight years. I was hired when I was 43 (I’m currently 52). If I retire 12 years from now as an 1811 under the LE retirement provision, I will be 63 years old. Will I be eligible to get the special retirement supplement until I qualify for full Social Security benefits? Full Social Security benefits in my case will be when I reach the age of 66 years, eight months — three years and eight months after I will have retired from federal employment.

A: No, you won’t. The special retirement supplement ends at age 62, when you become eligible for a Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply