Converting to civilian retirement system


Q: I have a question about converting my military time if I’m retired with 20 years of service. Will it help me or hurt me? I’m a WG-10 with five years of federal service right now.  I’m a veteran with a 30 percent disability rating.

A: If you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system, those years will be added to your actual years of service and, when you retire, your annuity will be increased by one percent for each of those years. The only hurt might be to your wallet. The deposit required is three percent of your basic pay while on active duty, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply