Changing survivor benefits


Q: If you are the retiree with survivor benefits and the survivor dies first, what forms do you need to fill out? Do you inform Medicare? Do you change health benefits from family to single? What form do you fill out to remove the survivor benefits?

A: All you need to do is call the Office of Personnel Managment at 888-767-6738 to report the death of your spouse. A benefits specialist will guide you through the process and provide the forms your need.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply