Option to return to CSRS?


Q: I began my civil service career in August 1972 and resigned in August 1980. When I left, I was covered under the Civil Service Retirement System. I returned to work in December 1984 and was a CSRS Offset employee. At that time, I could find no one who could explain to me what “Offset” meant.  Then the push for employees to move to the Federal Employees Retirement System began, and since no one seemed able to explain to me what “Offset” meant, and I had to make a decision by a certain date, I made the uninformed decision to switch to FERS. Do I have any recourse to get back into CSRS Offset?

A: No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply