Military buyback


Q: I work for the Postal Service and have four years of creditable military service. I started work after Oct. 1, 1982. If I pay my deposit and make monthly payments on my interest but do not pay back all the interest owed by my retirement date, will my credit (military service) be adjusted? How is it calculated?

A: If you don’t complete your deposit, including accrued interest, by the date your retirement application is adjudicated by OPM, you won’t get any credit for that service. Instead, the money you did deposit will be returned to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply