Credit time for war zone duty


Q: I retired from the Air Force in November 2005 with 20 years of time. In August 2006 I started working as a federal employee. I submitted paperwork to receive credit for my active duty time in a recognized war zone and received 14 months, which pushed my EOD date back to May 2005. I know this adjusted my credit for leave, but will my start date be based off my actual EOD or the adjusted EOD? I also plan on buying back my military time before retiring.

A: It will only be adjusted for retirement purposes if you complete a deposit for all your active duty military service and, at retirement, waive your military retired pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply