FERS annuity eligibility


Q: I worked for the Postal Service from January 1984 to September 1996 and was involuntarily separated after 12 years. Am I still eligible for a FERS annuity — and if so, when can I begin collecting and who do I contact to begin this process?

A: If you left your retirement contributions in the retirement fund, you would be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. Two months before you reach that age, you’d need to complete a copy of Standard Form 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement, available for download at http://opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf3107.pdf, and send it to OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply